In heaven,
Some little blades of grass
Stood before God.
“What did you do?”
Then all save one of the little blades
Began eagerly to relate
The merits of their lives.
This one stayed a small way behind,
Presently, God said,
“And what did you do?”
The little blade answered, “Oh my Lord,
Memory is bitter to me,
For, if I did good deeds,
I know not of them.”
Then God, in all His splendor,
Arose from His throne.
“Oh, best little blade of grass!” He said.

Analysis, meaning and summary of Stephen Crane's poem In heaven


  1. Mohammad Fayyaz says:

    The poem of the poet is indeed on a point worth lending attention to. Man should not be proud of his good deeds that he commits in the world. Good deeds may not save from the anger of God, it will be indeed the boundless mercy of God that we should rely on. The blade of grass, not knowing of his virtuous deeds, and only waits for the mercy of God, is rewarded but the ones who brag about their righteousness are praised/rewarded at all. Man indeed should go humbly towards God with hope of receiving from His mercy, and should not haughtily visit Him for a getting a reward of their virtuous deeds, done in the world for their self-satisfaction rather than to please Allah!

  2. Ieam says:

    Thanks 4 Ethan from US for giving me information about this poem…
    Now, I can go on with this poem 🙂

  3. David K says:

    Though he may have misnamed the poem and misplaced its location, Stephen struck a blow for mercey in this poem—you know “unmerited favor”—salvation by works is a slippery slope—God is the judge of worth not humankind.

  4. Ethan says:

    I think that this poem is in reference to the teachings of Christ. In Matthew, Jesus teaches that when we pray, it shouldn’t be in the streets to show off and when we fast, it shouldn’t be to show others how righteous we are. All the bragging blades of grass were doing what God told us not to. The humble blade of grass probably did countless good deeds, but he just couldn’t remember them because he did them with pure intent: to love God and fellow men and not to exalt himself.

  5. Stephen says:

    I am currently doing a research paper for my college, and I was looking for some insight into people’s opinions that I could somehow incorporate in my paper, but people, your views are horribly twisted. How can you possibly say that Crane was an Athiest? Read any biography about him. He was deeply religious and focused most of his poems on the afterlife and the glory of God. Great poems all around, and this is coming from a student who hates most poetry.

  6. Mike says:

    in this poem, crane is mocking God’s standard of humbleness being proper

  7. Mugurel says:

    Jew…show some respect. You’re most likely just jealous because he’s a brilliant poet and you are a retard in remedial school at age 23, if so, grow up and learn some modesty.

  8. jake says:

    i love you crane… make me want to have babies with you!!!!

  9. mica says:

    Crane is so amazing. We are all blades of grass. We bend with the wind and stand straight again as it fades. Here he is

  10. Chevy Kaylor says:

    Don’t confuse simplicity with simplemindedness! This poem has great depth. It reminds me that when I look at myself “warts and all,” really, I’m 80% warts. God, grant me the gift of perspective on my own life. It would be much more comfortable NOT to think about all the ways I’ve fallen, and those I’ve taken with me. Remind me when I’m living in the other 20%, that what constitues a real triumph is to forget that triumph matters at all.

  11. JIM says:

    it was a good poem easy to undersand great for a school report. just think of it as a story and it will be easy to memorize

  12. jerry says:

    Crane has such imagination, bringing the image of mankind all swaying as blades of grass. Such simplicity yet the one line at the end says so much..
    Crane is enjoyable to read, more should enjoy.

  13. the brains says:

    I LOVVVVVEEEDDDDDD YOUR POEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  14. Josh says:

    This is a great poem. It shows the lowness of mankind. But because we are humble, God sees our heart and wwelcomes us for being humble.

  15. Benji Raymond says:

    A lovely poem, which gracefull demonstrates the powers of modesty.

Leave a Reply to Mike Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Do you have any comments, criticism, paraphrasis or analysis of this poem that you feel would assist other visitors in understanding the meaning or the theme of this poem by Stephen Crane better? If accepted, your analysis will be added to this page of American Poems. Together we can build a wealth of information, but it will take some discipline and determination.