Prompt students to become the sophisticated readers, writers, and thinkers they need to be to achieve higher learning. Clearly defined strategies will drive discussion-based learning. Examine the hidden dangers of controlling classroom discourse, foster critical literacy through questioning and instructional routines, and encourage students to find meaning and cultivate thinking from expository texts--even the most challenging ones. Finally, because all students learn differently, you'll explore new-media texts and web 2.0 to accommodate learning differences among your students.
* Investigates how educators can establish an inquiry-based and reflective classroom
* Presents methods to help students engage deeply with their own ideas
* Provides student and teacher dialogues, teacher modeling, and graphic organizers
* Includes sample assignments, organizational routines, and instructional strategies
* Illustrates how readers can build understanding of literary and expository texts
* Contains techniques to make classroom discussions productive and safe