Turkish Embassy Letters
- Author:Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
- Publisher:Little, Brown Book Group
- List Price:
- Buy New: $8.15
as of 1/29/2015 00:39 EST details
- You Save: $9.80 (55%)
- Sales Rank:297,557
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.4
- Dimensions (in):4.8 x 0.6 x 7.7
- Publication Date:January 1, 1994
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu was described by a contemporary as "one of the most extraordinary shining characters in the world." Her letters, collected here, tell of her travels through Europe to Turkey in 1716, where her husband had been appointed Ambassador. Her liveliness makes them delightfully readable, and her singular intelligence provides us with insights that were exceptional for their time. Her ability to study another culture according to its own values, and to see herself through the eyes of others, makes Lady Mary one of the most fascinating and accomplished of early travel writers.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.