God's Trombones: Seven Negro Sermons in Verse
- Author:James Weldon Johnson
- Creator:Ensemble cast
- Brand:Brand: HighBridge Company
- List Price:
- Buy New: $7.62
as of 9/21/2014 00:50 EDT details
- You Save: $6.33 (45%)
- Sales Rank:1,434,708
- Format:Abridged, Audiobook, Unabridged
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Media:Audio CD
- Number Of Items:1
- Edition:Unabridged,Unabridged; 1.25 hours
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.1
- Dimensions (in):4.9 x 5.5 x 0.3
- Publication Date:January 14, 2009
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Used Book in Good Condition
As a young man in the late 1800s, James Weldon Johnson was profoundly influenced by the sermons he heard by the renowned black preachers of the day. Later in life, he transformed his memories into magnificent poems about Creation, the Flood, the Crucifixion, the Prodigal Son, Noah’s Ark, Judgment Day, and other stories from the Bible. Published in 1927, during the Harlem Renaissance, God’s Trombones
became one of Johnson’s most celebrated works.
In the early 1990s, several of New York City’s most prominent African-American ministers gave voice to Johnson’s words for a PBS broadcast. Now available for the first time on CD, this celebration of one of the great literary achievements of the Harlem Renaissance features moving performances by actor Joe Morton (Brother From Another Planet, actor Robert Earl Jones (father of James), and Reverend Calvin O. Butts of the Abyssinian Baptist Church, among others.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.