The Silent Partner: Including "The Tenth of January"
- Author:Elizabeth Stuart Phelps
- Creators:Mari Jo BuhleFlorence Howe
- Brand:Brand: The Feminist Press at CUNY
- List Price:
- Buy New: $11.82
as of 7/28/2014 10:04 EDT details
- You Save: $3.13 (21%)
- Seller:-Daily Deals-
- Sales Rank:291,025
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Edition:New ed of 1871 ed
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.8
- Dimensions (in):7.1 x 4.7 x 1.2
- Publication Date:July 1, 1993
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Used Book in Good Condition
The Silent Partner(1871) and “The Tenth of January” (1868) were among the earliest realistic portrayals of industrial life — and social injustice — in the United States. The novel focuses on Sip, a mill worker, and Miss Kelso, the silent partner in the mill after her father’s death. The lives of these two women intersect as worker and owner as they both reject marriage proposals in favor of new vocations — underscoring Phelps’s vision that, regardless of class, women can be united around their right to work.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.