Literacy for Real: Reading, Thinking, and Learning in the Content Areas (Language & Literacy Practitioners Bookshelf)
- Author:ReLeah Cossett Lent
- Creator:Jeffrey Wilhelm
- Brand:Brand: Teachers College Press
- List Price:
- Buy New: $14.50
as of 7/29/2014 19:53 EDT details
- You Save: $8.45 (37%)
- Seller:Educational Resource Used Books
- Sales Rank:778,153
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.6
- Dimensions (in):9.8 x 7.1 x 0.4
- Publication Date:March 14, 2009
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Used Book in Good Condition
''This is an immensely hopeful and forward-looking book with immediate applications. It provides a very useful and reassuring toolbox in a time of challenge and change, of problems and possibilities.''
-- From the Foreword by Jeffrey Wilhelm, Boise State University, author of ''You Gotta BE the Book,'' Second Edition
Written for the busy practitioner by an experienced professional development consultant, writer, and speaker, Literacy for Real is a hands-on guide to meaningful reading across the content areas of math, science, and social studies in grades 6-12. It presents key information that addresses all types of 21st century literacy--visual, digital, and print--in an easy-to-use format. The book centers on classroom practices and strategies for helping students tackle the reading required for subject-area study. Chapters focus on engagement, vocabulary, comprehension, and critical reading, and each includes sample activities as well as a list of resources. Avoiding the one-size-fits-all model, this guide instead offers foundational practices based on what we know about learning.
* Research-based strategies for content-area reading instruction, with a focus on student engagement.
* Features online, multimedia texts for today's 21st century classrooms.
* Interactive lessons that teachers can adapt to their own needs.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.