Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750
- Author:Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
- List Price:
- Buy New: $7.04
as of 12/8/2013 22:02 EST details
- You Save: $8.96 (56%)
- Seller:Five Star General Book Store
- Sales Rank:90,607
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Edition:Fifth or Later Edition
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.8
- Dimensions (in):0.7 x 5.1 x 7.9
- Publication Date:June 4, 1991
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- ISBN13: 9780679732570
- Condition: USED - Good
- Notes: 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
This enthralling work of scholarship strips away those abstractions to reveal the hidden -- and not always stoic -- face of the "goodwives" of colonial America. In these pages we encounter the awesome burdens -- and the considerable power -- of a New England housewife's domestic life and witness her occasional forays into the world of men. We see her borrowing from her neighbors, loving her husband, raising -- and, all too often, mourning -- her children, and even attaining fame as a heroine of frontier conflicts or notoriety as a murderess. Painstakingly researched, lively with scandal and homely detail, Good Wives is history at its best.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.