The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts
- Author:Maxine Hong Kingston
- List Price:
- Buy New: $2.92
as of 12/8/2013 13:27 EST details
- You Save: $11.08 (79%)
- Seller:Your Online Bookstore
- Sales Rank:7,626
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Edition:Vintage Intl Ed, April 1989/3rd Printing
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.5
- Dimensions (in):0.6 x 5.2 x 7.8
- Publication Date:April 23, 1989
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts
- The Woman Warrior
- Maxine Hong Kingston
A Chinese American woman tells of the Chinese myths, family stories and events of her California childhood that have shaped her identity.
The Woman Warrior is a pungent, bitter, but beautifully written memoir of growing up Chinese American in Stockton, California. Maxine Hong Kingston (China Men) distills the dire lessons of her mother's mesmerizing "talk-story" tales of a China where girls are worthless, tradition is exalted and only a strong, wily woman can scratch her way upward. The author's America is a landscape of confounding white "ghosts"--the policeman ghost, the social worker ghost--with equally rigid, but very different rules. Like the woman warrior of the title, Kingston carries the crimes against her family carved into her back by her parents in testimony to and defiance of the pain.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.