Theory into Practice: An Introduction to Literary Criticism
- Author:Ann B. Dobie
- Publisher:Cengage Learning
- List Price:
- Buy New: $67.00
as of 9/19/2014 06:32 EDT details
- You Save: $69.95 (51%)
- Seller:Premier Books USA
- Sales Rank:265,970
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):1.1
- Dimensions (in):0.7 x 6.2 x 9
- Publication Date:January 3, 2011
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- From the beginning, this book has been a "teaching text." That is, it has included numerous pedagogical aids. The third edition expands those features in an effort to facilitate student use. The following assistance is provided for each school of criticism: Concise historical literary background. Guidelines for reading as a critic. Guidelines for writing each stage of a critical analysis. A list of helpful suggested readings. Access to a comprehensive list of websites. A useful glossary of terms. At least one model student essay. Lists of questions to assist student thinking. In addition, several more comprehensive pedagogical aids follow the explanatory chapters. They include the following: Fifteen literary selections for quick and easy reference. A comprehensive, fully articulated glossary of critical terms. Information at a Glance, a succinct summary of the purposes, assumptions, strategies, strengths and weaknesses of each approach.
Beginning with more accessible critical approaches and gradually introducing more challenging critical perspectives, THEORY INTO PRACTICE provides extensive step-by-step guidance for writing literary analyses. This brief, practical introduction to literary theory explores core theories in a unique chronological format and includes an anthology of relevant fiction, poetry, and nonfiction to help bring those theories to life. Remarkably readable and engaging, the text makes even complex concepts manageable for those beginning to think about literary theory, and example analyses for each type of criticism show how real students have applied the theories to works included in the anthology. Now updated with the latest scholarship, including a full discussion of Ecocriticism and increased emphasis on American multicultural approaches, THEORY INTO PRACTICE provides an essential foundation for thoughtful and effective literary analysis.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.