Poetry: The Basics
- Author:Jeffrey Wainwright
- List Price:
- Buy New: $20.68
as of 7/30/2014 13:18 EDT details
- You Save: $4.27 (17%)
- Seller:Wordery USA
- Sales Rank:947,177
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.7
- Dimensions (in):7.5 x 5.1 x 0.8
- Publication Date:April 7, 2011
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Now in its second edition, Poetry: The Basics demystifies the traditions and forms of the world of poetry for all those who find it daunting or bewildering. Covering a wide range of poetic voices from Chaucer to children's rhymes, song lyrics and the words of contemporary poets, this book will help readers to appreciate poetry by examining:
- technical aspects such as rhythm and measures
- different tones of voice in poetry
- the relationship between 'everyday' and 'poetic' language
- how different types of poetry are structured
- how the form and 'space' of a poem contribute to its meaning
- some of the ways contemporary poets set to work.
A must-read for all those wishing to get to grips with reading and writing poetry, this book is a lively and inspiring introduction to its many styles and purposes right up to the present-day.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.