Complete Poems (Penguin Classics)
- Author:James Weldon Johnson
- Creator:Sondra Kathryn Wilson
- Publisher:Penguin Classics
- List Price:
- Buy New: $8.99
as of 1/31/2015 12:24 EST details
- You Save: $7.01 (44%)
- Sales Rank:254,104
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.4
- Dimensions (in):5.1 x 0.5 x 7.9
- Publication Date:October 1, 2000
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
2000 marks the centenary of "Lift Every Voice and Sing," James Weldon Johnson's most famous lyric, which is now embraced as the Negro National Anthem. In celebration, this Penguin original collects all the poems from Johnson's published works—Fifty Years and Other Poems
(1917), God's Trombones
(1927), and Saint Peter Relates an Incident of the Resurrection Day
(1935)—along with a number of previously unpublished poems.
Sondra Kathryn Wilson, the foremost authority on Johnson and his work, provides an introduction that sheds light on Johnson's many achievements and his pioneering contributions to recording and celebrating the African American experience.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.