You're a smart cookie. You know sugar isn't good for you. You know you could probably stand to skip dessert, but you'd rather indulge that sweet tooth sometimes.
For the times when you just want something sweet, doggone it – Make a smarter cookie.
The goal of “Smart Sweets: 30 Desserts to Indulge Your Sweet Tooth” is to give you real food options that are far better for you than you'll find in the grocery store, usually better for you than a typical homemade recipe, and sometimes downright good for you.
You'll find less sugar, healthier (natural) sweeteners, whole grains, soaked and sprouted grains, some grain-free recipes, and even desserts with probiotics and vegetables. Real food doesn't have to be boring, and “Smart Sweets” will help you keep special occasions delicious without compromising your healthy diet.
If you always feel guilty when you give into sweet things, this book is definitely for you.
If you want a great way to slide that resistant someone into eating real food, this book is for you, too.
And if you're looking for a delicious 100% whole grain brownie, a birthday cake with no white sugar, or homemade chocolate syrup without any high fructose corn syrup, then you're surely in the right spot.
Some highlights of “Smart Sweets” include:
* Info page: alternative sweeteners explained (but NO artificial sweeteners, just natural ones)
* Tutorial: how to adapt a recipe to bake with honey
* Coconut Macaroons, dozens of variations
* Cinnamon Raisin Spelt Drops
* Butternut Spice Bars (can be made with zero sweetener, GAPS friendly)
* Cider Doughnut Spiced Cupcakes (great for birthdays)
* Peppermint Coconut Bark (eat a piece with each meal for the health benefits of coconut oil)
* Whole Wheat Pumpkin Cookies (with only ½ cup honey for 5-6 dozen cookies! Halloween parties, here you come...)
* Grain-free Cherry Almond Crepes (with healthy probiotics too)
* Whole Wheat Probiotic Fruit Pizza (kindergartners clamor for more!)
* Sourdough Chocolate Cake
* Bonus recipe for a Chocolate Peppermint Lotion Bar plus a coupon for hard lotion
Every recipe has extensive recipes notes and usually lots of variations to change up the flavors and substitute ingredients based on what you have on hand.
* 17 Gluten-free recipes
* 15 Grain-free recipes
* 16 Dairy-free recipes
* 15 tested egg-free recipes with more than would likely adapt well
* nearly all are nut-free and there is no soy in sight