ScratchX 2.0 is the must have cleaner for isolated paint problems because its micro abrasives help in the removal of fine scratches, blemishes, oxidation, light stains and surface contaminants from the vehicles paint. ScratchX 2.0 formula will not damage the paint, and will restore the brilliance and clear finish of the painted surfaces. Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0 is easy to use by hand, but may also be used with Meguiar’s DA Power System or with Meguiar’s Dual Action Polisher.
Before applying Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 to the vehicle, begin by washing and drying the car thoroughly, as it will allow evalutating the surface of the vehicle for the presence of various defects needing correction.Defects fall into two basic categories: above surface bonded contaminants (industrial fall out, paint overspray, tree sap mist, and bird droppings) and below surface defects (fine scratches, swirl marks, etching, and oxidation). Above surface bonded contaminants often cannot be seen but they can be felt. Run a clean hand over the paint of the vehicle immediately after washing and drying it. Does the paint feel "as smooth as glass"? If the paint surface is rough to the touch, this is an indication to clay the car using Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit first. Below surface defects generally cannot be felt, but they can be seen, especially in strong, direct light.
Good lighting is critical to evaluating the surface of the paint, because most cars will look good in the shade; therefore inspect the car's finish in direct sunlight or under strong fluorescent lights. Cobweb or spider web swirls come primarily from the washing and drying process when poor technique or tools are used; for example, the use of old towels, dishwashing detergents, and coarse sponges. Holograms however, are a specific type of defect caused by the improper use of a high speed rotary buffer. These types of defects not only mar the finish but reduce the paint’s ability to reflect light clearly and cleanly, making the paint appear dull, faded and “washed out”. Removing below surface defects like light scratches, swirls, oxidation and bird dropping etching restores the clarity and reflectivity of the paint, making colors more vibrant and reflections more brilliant.
Liquid paint cleaners should be applied to small areas at a time, no larger than one square foot when working by hand or two square feet when working with a dual action polisher such as the Meguiar's DA Power System or Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher. Working small areas at a time is crucial in order to concentrate the work rather than spreading it out over a too large of an area. Keep the following points in mind when working with any “paint cleaner” like Meguiar's ScratchX: Paint cleaners do not need to dry before removing and in fact should be wiped off immediately after they're worked over the finish. Paint cleaners need to be worked into the finish; they are not wipe on, wipe off products. Deep defects (scratches) that go through the clear coat cannot be corrected without repainting or applying touch up paint. The harder the paint and the deeper the defect, the smaller the area to work at one time. Paint cleaners remove everything off the surface of the paint including wax, so after using paint cleaner re-apply a protective coating of wax.
- 1. Dispense a small amount of Meguiar’s ScratchX directly onto a foam applicator pad or a small, clean 100% cotton terry towel.
- 2. Work a small section (1’ x 1’) at a time, until the ScratchX starts to turn clear. Apply additional ScratchX as needed until defects have been removed.
- 3. Before moving on to the next section, use Meguiar’s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel to wipe away any product residue before it dries.
- 4. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed to complete the rest of the vehicle.
- 5. Follow up with any Meguiar’s polish and wax, like Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax. These products are also available as part of the Polishing Power Pack and Waxing Power Pack.
By Dual Action Polisher or DA Power System:
- 1. Attach the appropriate “cutting” pad to the Meguiar’s DA Power System or Meguiar’s DA Polisher.
- 2. Apply a strip of Meguiar’s ScratchX directly onto the compound pad.
- 3. Place the face of the pad flat on the paint. Turn on the Meguiar’s DA Power System drill or Meguiar’s DA Polisher and begin buffing with moderate pressure in an overlapping pattern while keeping the pad flat against the paint at all times.
- 4. Work a small section (2’ x 2’) at a time, until the Ultimate Compound starts to turn clear. Apply additional Ultimate Compound as needed until defects have been removed.
- 5. Before moving on to the next section, use Meguiar’s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel to wipe away any product residue before it dries.
- 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed to complete the rest of the vehicle.
- 7. Follow up with any Meguiar’s polish and wax, like Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax.