Who Reads Organic Gardening Magazine?
Organic Gardening readers are women and men who enjoy growing and eating the freshest food, want a yard that is beautiful year-round yet safe for people, pets and wildlife, and take deep satisfaction from working in harmony with nature. They rely on Organic Gardening for well-researched, in-depth reporting on the best plants to grow in their conditions, the most effective pest and weed control strategies, tips and techniques for keeping plants healthy, plus ideas for sustainable living indoors and out.
What You Can Expect in Each Issue:
- Food: We evaluate new and heirloom varieties of tomatoes and all your favorite vegetables in our nationwide network of test gardens. And we bring you the latest research on how to grow them to the peak of flavor. Each issue also includes hints on serving them simply to show off their homegrown goodness.
- Landscaping: A well-maintained property enhances your home’s value and gives you a comfortable space where you can relax with family and friends. We show you how to create a yard that is filled with color and interest in all four seasons, with details on the flowers, shrubs and trees that demand little care and deliver big impact. And we offer expert suggestions for giving your yard that “designed by a pro” look.
- Pest and Weed Control: Toxic pesticides and weedkillers not only harm wildlife and poison our fresh water supply, they threaten the health of people and pets. Organic Gardening readers get solutions that are proven to work, but safe for all living things.
- Soil: The secret to success in gardening is right below your feet. Organic Gardening is the only magazine that gives its readers information they can use to build the most fertile, well-balanced and healthy soil possible. Plus, find out how easy and rewarding composting can be.
- Test Garden Report: Each season, we grow the newest varieties in 12 locations around the country and name those that deserve space in your vegetable beds this year. We also try out tools and other gear, and highlight the products worth your money.
- Complete Beginner’s Guide: Everything you need to know to succeed in your first season. From how to set up your first bed to what to plant to where to shop, we take you by the hand and help you make the smartest choices. Even old hands will learn a new trick or two.
- Kitchen Garden Plan: Transform an ordinary vegetable bed into a practical yet attractive potager. Includes recommendations on the best crops to grow and how to plant them to help you enjoy fresh, homegrown food every day, all season long.
- The Time-Strapped Gardener: Hundreds of tested tips on how to get more food, beauty and pleasure from your garden, in just minutes a day.
- Tomatoes for Every Space: No matter how big or small your plot, we give you the varieties and strategies for growing your biggest and best harvest of tomatoes ever.
- Best Tasting Harvest: Get the most flavor from everything you grow with small but significant changes that make all the difference between “ah” and “blah.”
- Organic Roses: Yes, you can enjoy these most beautiful and fragrant of flowers without relying on noxious chemicals to protect them. An expert shares his most dependable varieties and his hints for keeping them healthy in even the worst conditions.
- Plant Now, Eat in Fall: Keep enjoying homegrown food even as the weather changes with this plan for summer planting and autumn harvesting.
- Drought Busters: Meet the tough flowers that thrive when the heat is on and the soil is parched.
- Four-Season Sensations: Trees and shrubs that are attractive and low-maintenance year-round and that attract colorful birds to your yard.