Almost Home: Helping Kids Move from Homelessness to Hope
- Buy New: $19.95
as of 1/30/2015 00:05 EST details
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Seller:Audible, Inc. (US)
- Sales Rank:58,816
- Language:English (Unknown)
- Media:Audible Audio Edition
- Running Time:27600 Minutes
- Publication Date:May 28, 2013
Inside the lives of homeless teens - moving stories of pain and hope from Covenant House.
Almost Home tells the stories of six remarkable young people from across the United States and Canada as they confront life alone on the streets. Each eventually finds his or her way to Covenant House, the largest charity serving homeless and runaway youth in North America. From the son of a crack addict who fights his own descent into drug addiction, to a teen mother reaching for a new life, their stories veer between devastating and inspiring as they each struggle to find a place called home. This book:
- Includes a foreword by Newark Mayor Cory Booker
- Shares the personal stories of six homeless youths grappling with issues such as drug addiction, family violence, prostitution, rejection based on sexual orientation, teen parenthood, and aging out of foster care into a future with limited skills and no support system
- Gives voice to the estimated 1.6 million young people in the United States and Canada who run away or are kicked out of their homes each year
- Includes stories of firsthand experiences mentoring and working with homeless and troubled youth, and practical suggestions on how to get involved
- Discusses the root causes of homelessness among young people - and policy recommendations to address them
- Provides action steps listeners can take to fight youth homelessness and assist individual homeless young people
Written by Kevin Ryan, president of Covenant House, and Pulitzer Prize nominee and former New York Times
writer Tina Kelley, Almost Home
invites us to get to know homeless teens as more than an accumulation of statistics and societal issues. This book gives a human face to a huge but largely invisible problem and offers practical insights into how to prevent homelessness and help homeless youth move to a hopeful future. For instance, one kid in the book goes on to b...
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.