• Two of British author Charles Dickens' classic books are bound together in this Kindle edition: A Tale of Two Cities (1859) and Great Expectations (Serial 1860)
A Tale of Two Cities (1859)
Set in London and Paris before and during the French Revolution, A Tale of Two Cities ranks among the most famous novels in history. Its opening lines are often quoted: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,…”
As the novel begins, Jarvis Lorry's urgent services are required. He is to meet a young woman at Dover named Lucie Manette who is believed to be an orphan. But in fact her father, Doctor Manette, has been found in France. Lorry's job is to accompany her to Paris for a reunion. Much has happened to Lucie's father during his disappearance, however, including 18 years in prison where he has been driven mad. Lucie sets out to help him find his way back.
Meanwhile, in 1780, Charles Darnay is accused of treason against England but he is acquitted with the assistance of his drunken colleague Sydney Carton. Watching the proceedings are none other than Lucie and Doctor Manette. It is not long before their lives soon intertwine.
Six-year-old Pip is living with his sister and her husband, Joe, when he is invited to a castle owned by Miss Havisham, a wealthy old woman who was jilted at the alter and has never removed her wedding dress. Pip has been summoned to play with Miss Havisham’s adopted child, Estella, and he soon falls in love with Estella, but there is little hope for Pip. That does not stop him dreaming of marrying Estella as he matures, however. Little does Pip know his fortunes are about to take a turn, and he will soon discover what life is like as a gentleman.
About The Author
Charles John Huffam Dickens (1812 –1870) was an English writer often regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian period. He was born in Portsmouth, England and left school early to work in a factory when his father served time in debtors’ prison.
He wrote 15 novels, five novellas and hundreds of short stories and non-fiction articles, Dickens’ first famous novels was The Pickwick Papers, serialised in 1836, and he soon became a celebrity for his humour and observation of human nature.
Charles Dickens Classic Books
Other books in the series, published by Pearl Necklace Books, are available through Amazon. Each edition contains a bonus novel and, for the two-for-one price, include:
1, Pickwick Club (Serial 1836-37)
2. Oliver Twist (Serial 1837 - 39)
3. Nicholas Nickleby (Serial 1838 - 1839)
4. The Old Curiosity Shop (Serial 1840 - 1841)
5. Barnaby Rudge (Serial 1841 - 1841)
6. The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit (Serial 1843 - 1844)
7. Dombey and Son (Serial 1846 - 1848)
8. David Copperfield (Serial 1849 - 1850)
9. Bleak House (Serial 1852 - 1853)
10. Hard Times (Serial 1854 - 1854)
11. Little Dorrit (Serial 1855 - 1857)
12. A Tale of Two Cities (Serial 1859 - 1859)
13. Great Expectations (Serial 1860 - 1861)
14. Our Mutual Friend (Serial 1864 - 1865)
15. The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1870)