Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
- List Price:
- Buy New: $17.95
as of 7/30/2014 17:50 EDT details
- You Save: $2.00 (10%)
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Seller:Audible, Inc. (US)
- Sales Rank:49,692
- Language:English (Unknown)
- Media:Audible Audio Edition
- Running Time:27420 Minutes
- Publication Date:July 25, 2012
The first look at the philosophy behind the Iron Man comics and movies. On the surface, Iron Man appears to be a straightforward superhero, another rich guy fighting crime with fancy gadgets. But beneath the shiny armor and flashy technology lies Tony Stark, brilliant inventor and eccentric playboy, struggling to balance his desires, addictions, and relationships with his duties as the Armored Avenger. Iron Man and Philosophy explores the many philosophical issues that emerge from the essential conflicts found in the decades of Iron Man stories in comics and movies.
What kind of moral compass does Tony Stark have? Is Iron Man responsible for the death of Captain America after the Marvel Universe Civil War? Should people like Stark run the world? How does Tonys alcoholism impact his performance as Iron Man, and what does it say about moral character? Ultimately, what can Iron Man teach us about the role of technology in society?
As absorbing as Iron Man comic books and movies, Iron Man and Philosophy:
- Gives you a new perspective on Iron Man characters, story lines, and themes
- Shows what philosophical heavy hitters such as Aristotle, Locke, and Heidegger can teach us about Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Considers issues such as addiction, personal responsibility, the use of technology, and the role of government
Whether you've been reading the comic books for years or have gotten into Iron Man through the movies, Iron Man and Philosophy is a must-have companion for every fan.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.