Selected Shorts: American Classics
- List Price:
- Buy New: $14.95
as of 12/28/2014 16:18 EST details
- You Save: $4.65 (24%)
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Seller:Audible, Inc. (US)
- Sales Rank:40,477
- Language:English (Unknown)
- Media:Audible Audio Edition
- Running Time:13500 Minutes
- Publication Date:April 1, 2010
A compilation of classic tales by great American writers performed by terrific actors, with a lineup including Pulitzer Prize winners, National Book Award winners, and PEN Award winners.
- Amy Tan's "Rules of the Game", performed by Freda Foh Shen. A strict Chinese mother bedevils her chess prodigy daughter.
- Donald Barthelme's "Game", performed by David Strathairn. Playing cosmic chicken in a nuclear bunker.
- Eudora Welty's "Why I Live at the P.O.", performed by Stockard Channing. Hilarious story of an independent young woman striking out on her own.
- Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat" performed by René Auberjonois. Terrifyingly delicious Poe masterpiece.
- Joyce Carol Oates' "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" performed by Christine Baranski. Sly, creepy tale of a teenage girl's seduction by a dangerous drifter.
- John Sayles' "At the Anarchists' Convention", performed by Jerry Stiller. Laugh-out-loud classic.
- Alice Walker's "Everyday Use", performed by Carmen de Lavallade. Siblings disagree about a precious piece of their family heritage.
- John Cheever's "Christmas Is a Sad Season for the Poor", performed by Malachy McCourt. A high-rise elevator operator is overwhelmed by his riders' holiday generosity.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.