Visions of Cody
- Buy New: $16.75
as of 12/19/2013 03:50 EST details
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Sales Rank:6,502,326
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Published)
- Edition:27th Printing
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.7
- Dimensions (in):7.7 x 5 x 0.9
- Publication Date:1993
Yes, at first I thought the tape transcripts were just a lot of useless padding to fill out Jack's book. Boy, was I wrong! Here's how to read them:
1. Get a couple of Charley Parker albums (Bird and Diz will do nicely.)
2. Procure a jug of red wine and a joint.
3. Put on Bird, pour a glass of wine, and just relax with the music for a while.
4. Take a few tokes. Drink more wine. Get a nice mellow buzz.
5. NOW, begin reading the tape transcripts, and voila! You are invited to the party!
You will be sitting there with Cassidy and Kerouac, digging the flow of music and conversation and experiencing a new comprehension of their friends, wives and lovers. The gossip, the stories, the subtle oneupmanship between them is a delicious fly-on-the wall experience. By recreating the set and setting of these long ago conversations, you will experience an intimacy that is uncanny. I've done this a few times and was amazed at the greater understanding I had of these two complicated men. I read and re-read the transcripts with delight and was sorry there wasn't more of them.
This is surely what Kerouac intended. It's like the modern day extras and behind the scenes specials you get on movie DVDs. I mourn their passing more than ever and the fact that there doesn't appear to be anyone out there to take their place.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.