The Rise of Silas Lapham (Konemann Classics)
- List Price:
- Buy New: $1.59
as of 12/22/2013 05:48 EST details
- You Save: $6.36 (80%)
- Sales Rank:4,371,282
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.7
- Dimensions (in):6.7 x 4.7 x 0.8
- Publication Date:June 1998
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- ISBN13: 9783829008747
- Condition: Used - Very Good
- Notes: 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
[This is the MP3CD audiobook format in vinyl case.]
Howells' best-known work and a subtle classic of its time, The Rise of Silas Lapham is an elegant tale of Boston society and manners.
After establishing a fortune in the paint business, Silas Lapham moves his family from their Vermont farm to the city of Boston in order to improve his social position, the consequences of which are both humorous and tragic.
The novel focuses on important themes in the American literary tradition--the efficacy of self-help and determination, the ambiguous benefits of social and economic progress, and the continual contradiction between urban and pastoral values--and provides a paradigm of American culture in the Gilded Age.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.