Le Tartuffe (French Edition)
- Buy New: $3.54
as of 4/21/2014 11:14 EDT details
- Seller:TOTAL BOOKS
- Sales Rank:6,780,958
- Languages:French (Unknown), French (Original Language), French (Published)
- Media:Mass Market Paperback
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.4
- Dimensions (in):6.8 x 4.2 x 0.4
- Publication Date:May 1, 1999
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Used Book in Good Condition
Tartuffe is a comedy by Molière, and arguably his most famous play. It was written in and first performed in 1664 at the fêtes held at Versailles, and almost immediately censored by the outcry of the dévots, who were very influential in the court of King Louis XIV.
While the king had little interest in suppressing the play, he eventually did so because of the dévots. The word dévots referred to those who claimed to be very religious, but as Molière points out in Tartuffe, these same people were often religious hypocrites.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.