The Signal and the Noise ...in 30 Minutes
is your guide to quickly understanding the important lessons in Nate Silver's best-selling book, The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail--but Some Don't.
In The Signal and the Noise
, influential political forecaster Nate Silver narrows down what makes a good prediction, and why predictions even from the experts are often wrong. Nate Silver became a household name during the 2012 U.S. presidential election, and has gained renown for his accurate baseball predictions. In this innovative and exciting book, he uses probability, statistics, and a down-to-earth approach to explain how to distinguish the truth (the signal) from all the other distractions or assumptions (the noise), and make the best possible choices. The lessons in The Signal and the Noise
will give you an edge in everything from choosing stocks to predicting world politics to making personal changes in light of climate change.Use this helpful guide to understand The Signal and the Noise in a fraction of the time, with tools such as:
- Insights into Nate Silver's journey from forecasting Major League Baseball players' performances to predicting the outcome of U.S. presidential elections
- Praise for and critical reactions to Silver's ideas, from such noted sources as the New York Review of Books and the Wall Street Journal
- Explanations of the key concepts, including analyzing prediction failures, practicing Bayesian thinking, and expanding self-awareness
- Easy-to-understand definitions and examples of key terms, such as Bayes's theorem
- Recommended readings and a bibliography listing additional resources analyzing Silver's work and the phenomenon of big data
As with all books in the 30 Minute Expert Series, this book is intended to be purchased alongside the reviewed title, The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail--but Some Don't.