Health Matters for People with Developmental Disabilities: Creating a Sustainable Health Promotion Program
- List Price:
- Buy New: $27.63
as of 11/25/2014 20:55 EST details
- You Save: $7.32 (21%)
- Sales Rank:811,680
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.8
- Dimensions (in):10.3 x 7.3 x 0.5
- Publication Date:May 20, 2010
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Adults with developmental disabilities are at significant risk for health problems. Effective health promotion can improve outcomes—and that's why adult day and residential agencies, schools, and other organizations need this invaluable program development guide. An urgent call to action and a start-to-finish framework for health promotion, this book shows administrators and service providers how to increase supports for health education, exercise and nutrition by implementing their own successful program.
With practical guidance on every stage of program development, readers will discover how to
- effectively communicate the key "selling points" of a health promotion program, from improved quality of life to reduced cost of health care
- win the support of everyone involved, from senior management to direct support staff
- manage practical aspects like budgeting, gathering resources, and recruiting staff
- use Universal Design to develop a program that welcomes people with intellectual, developmental, and physical disabilities
- motivate program participants with creative activities and strategies
- ensure lasting improvements in health behaviors by setting up environmental and organizational supports
- evaluate the program's outcomes and identify areas for improvement
To help them implement their own health promotion program, readers will get practical planning tools:
- a "getting started" checklist
- a sample Program Timeline and budget
- lists of Internet and community resources
- and assessment tools for determining their participants' needs, their current resources, and the success of their program.
The ideal complement to the proven Health Matters health education curriculum, this highly accessible program development guide will help service providers ensure better health—and better lives—for adults with a wide range of disabilities.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.