The Way of Ignorance: And Other Essays
- List Price:
- Buy New: $15.99
as of 3/10/2014 21:09 EDT details
- You Save: $8.01 (33%)
- Seller:Drake's Books.
- Sales Rank:1,085,445
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Edition:3rd prt.
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.9
- Dimensions (in):9.3 x 6.4 x 0.8
- Publication Date:October 21, 2005
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
• In a democratic commonwealth, what are the costs and consequences of rugged individualism?
• What, in the fullest sense, is involved in our National Security?
• When considering Weapons of Mass Destruction, does our inventory include soil loss, climate change, and ground water poisoning? And should we add Economic Weapons of Mass Destruction to our list of targets?
• Whose freedom are we considering when we speak of the "free market" or "free enterprise"?
• What is the price of ownership without affection?
These and several other questions lie at the heart of Wendell Berry's latest collection of essays, writing "motivated by fear of our violence to one another and to the world, and my hope that we might do better." Setting aside abstraction in favor of clarity, coherence, and passion, this new book provides a setting of immediate danger and profound hope. The core of this collection — "Imagination in Place," "The Way of Ignorance," "Quantity and Form," "The Purpose of a Coherent Community," "Compromise, Hell!" — consists of some of the finest essays of Wendell Berry's long career, and the whole offers an exhilarating sense of purpose and a clear call to action.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.