Masculine Beauty: A Collection of Walt Whitman's Poetry Of Same-Sex Affection
- List Price:
- Buy New: $10.45
as of 4/19/2014 02:15 EDT details
- You Save: $0.55 (5%)
- Sales Rank:4,223,333
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.4
- Dimensions (in):9 x 6 x 0.3
- Publication Date:January 5, 2014
Shipping:Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
Availability:Usually ships in 24 hours
* Contains only those poems Whitman wrote exploring masculine beauty and/or same-sex affection. * Contains an abridged introduction by John Burroughs placing the work in its historical context as well as a contemporary preface by Michael Wilson. Sometimes gay readers and scholars have occasion to seek out the homoerotic passages of Whitman, whether to read for the pure pleasure of the experience or for scholarship. This need has been problematic in the past because Leaves of Grass is a huge volume to read through to find what one is seeking, shorter editions of “selected” Whitman poems are generally more apt to omit his homoerotic material than to include it (and certainly do not highlight it), and if one turns only to his “Calamus” section, his most homoerotic “chapter,” one misses out on a great deal more. This volume seeks to give readers and scholars a single source to consult when the aim is to read Whitman’s homoerotic verse.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.