Public Speaking: Concepts and Skills for a Diverse Society (Cengage Advantage Books)
- List Price:
- Buy New: $83.21
as of 9/2/2014 11:58 EDT details
- You Save: $13.74 (14%)
- Sales Rank:15,044
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):1.6
- Dimensions (in):9.9 x 7.9 x 0.7
- Publication Date:January 1, 2012
Shipping:Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
Availability:Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks
- PUBLIC SPEAKING was the first public speaking textbook to focus on diversity, include an interpreted speech (given in Spanish and translated into English), describe invitational rhetoric, discuss receiver apprehension, and show alternative patterns of speech organization.
- "Stop and Check" boxes. These critical-thinking and skill-building exercises help students check their progress throughout the chapter. Often, they refer to an article on the InfoTrac® College Edition database, which helps students better understand the topic and gives them practice in researching and locating quality supporting material online. These activities are also available in an interactive format on the book's online resources.
- "Diversity in Practice" boxes. These boxes enhance the book's emphasis on diversity by presenting brief summaries of public speaking traditions from a range of perspectives. Examples include ancient cultures (Chapters 1 and 17), global groups (Chapters 7 and 13), ethnic groups (Chapters 10 and 15), and co-cultures (Chapters 12 and 14).
- "Practically Speaking" boxes. Reviewers asked for more practical applications to situations outside the classroom. Consequently, most chapters now feature an example of "ordinary" people who share tips on how they use concepts developed in the chapter in their daily lives. In addition, there are more references to workplace situations and topics throughout the text, and more workplace-related speeches are included.
- "Ethics in Practice" boxes. This text has always emphasized ethical speaking and listening. This edition includes an ethics box in most chapters. These boxes present short examples or cases that invite students to contemplate the ethical implications of chapter concepts, using probing questions that are appropriate for class discussions.
PUBLIC SPEAKING is a culturally informed book that never loses sight of its fundamental purpose: to train students to be effective public speakers and listeners in a world filled with monumental cultural, political, and technological changes. It applies 2,500-year-old principles with up-to-date research into concepts, skills, theories, applications, and critical thinking proficiencies essential for listening and speaking in today's world. Its discussions of classic public speaking topics are all grounded in an awareness of the impact of cultural nuances--ranging from gender differences to co-cultures within the United States to the traditions of other nations. This provides speakers with a heightened awareness of and sensitivity to the audience.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.