Direct Social Work Practice: Theory and Skills, 9th Edition (Brooks / Cole Empowerment Series)
- List Price:
- Buy New: $127.99
as of 12/26/2014 07:00 EST details
- You Save: $97.96 (43%)
- Sales Rank:26,979
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):3.2
- Dimensions (in):1.3 x 8.3 x 10
- Publication Date:2012
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Rather than focusing only on clients' problems, the authors explore how social workers can better assess clients' strengths and integrate those positive attributes into the process. Given social work's unique commitment to working with clients in the context of their environments, the authors place direct practice skills in a current social and policy context.
- The text is packed with examples and case studies, many of which are drawn from social work practitioners as well as the authors' personal practice situations. Diversity content is integrated throughout, with cases exemplifying diversity in multiple forms. The text also integrates practical skill development exercises to give students myriad opportunities to put chapter concepts into action
- DIRECT SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE balances theory with an emphasis on improving and refining students' assessment, helping, and communication skills. Composed of four parts, the book begins by identifying the mission of social work, its values, and knowledge base. The authors then differentiate generalist from direct practice and explore roles of direct practitioners. Common elements among diverse theorists are examined next, and key intervention strategies and various client population and practice settings are also presented.
- Specific guides to assessing problems--such as potential for suicide--and full examples of written assessments help students practice and improve their skills.
- NEW This edition is thoroughly up to date with the most recent EPAS requirements. NEW Helping Hands icons within the chapters and end-of-chapter Competency Notes spotlight text coverage of the required Core Competencies and recommended Practice Behaviors detailed by CSWE's new EPAS 2008.
The ninth edition of DIRECT SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE: THEORY AND SKILLS prepares you for effective real-world practice. Packed with case examples, illustrations, and proven learning experiences from the authors as well as other social work practitioners, the book integrates the major theories and skills that direct social work practitioners need to understand and master, earning the book its reputation as the classic source for helping students learn direct practice skills. Furthermore, as part of the Brooks/Cole Empowerment Series, the ninth edition is completely up to date and thoroughly integrates the core competencies and recommended practice behaviors outlined in the 2008 Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards (EPAS) set by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Video demonstrations are available on the optional CourseMate website and ensure student learning experiences are as close to real life as possible.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.