Human Genetics and Society
- List Price:
- Buy New: $171.82
as of 12/18/2014 16:15 EST details
- You Save: $121.13 (41%)
- Sales Rank:64,880
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):1.6
- Dimensions (in):10.7 x 8.4 x 0.7
- Publication Date:September 23, 2011
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- The clear and accessible presentation enables students to understand concepts such as Mendelian inheritance, pedigrees, chromosomes, karyotypes, DNA, and more. Rather than getting mired in too much scientific detail, the text applies concepts to social issues--helping students make informed decisions.
- Every chapter opens with a case about an individual, a family member, or an entire family faced with learning something about genetics. It might be a disorder, a diagnostic test, or a decision to be made that demonstrates the relevance of the chapter content.
- "What would you do if" questions engage students with various scenarios that place them in the shoes of legislators, judges, physicians, and the people facing genetics-related issues in the many fascinating real-life cases.
- "Spotlight On" features highlight important ethical situations, societal issues, and legal cases that impact genetics. Encouraging critical thinking, topics include the legal status and custody of human embryos, ownership of cell lines, and how the study of specific populations has helped genetics.
- "In the Media" boxes present medical and political issues concerning human genetics from current Internet, print, and TV media.
HUMAN GENETICS AND SOCIETY is an engaging text that demonstrates the relevance of genetics with an integrated case-based approach. Written for non-science majors, it shows the importance of genetics by placing concepts within real-life contexts that you can appreciate throughout every chapter. Not just relegated to features, boxes, and the end of chapters, this book's real-world cases and intriguing questions are woven throughout the chapter narrative, vividly showing you how and why the concepts of human genetics are vital to your personal life and to society at large.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.