Becoming an Effective Policy Advocate
- List Price:
- Buy New: $94.24
as of 7/11/2014 08:48 EDT details
- You Save: $136.71 (59%)
- Seller:Wisepenny Books
- Sales Rank:214,889
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):2.4
- Dimensions (in):0.9 x 7.3 x 9.2
- Publication Date:March 15, 2010
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES. This text presents a hands-on framework designed to help students become effective policy advocates. The framework identifies recurring policy tasks, policy advocacy skills, and an array of policy competencies that allow policy advocates to put their skills into action.
- SOCIAL WORK IN ACTION. Policy Advocacy Challenges illustrate how social workers from around the country have used policy-advocacy skills and competencies to achieve policy reforms in agency, community and legislative settings. Some examples integrate video footage, websites, and/or Internet-based exercises, bringing the challenges to life and providing visual and hands-on inspiration for students.
- REALISTIC EXAMPLES. Case examples in every chapter show how social workers have obtained reforms in legislative and governmental settings, giving students a glimpse of what they can hope to accomplish in their own careers.
- RESOURCES ON THE WEB. Websites are listed to help guide students toward allies in the field and provide information about specific issues.
- REAL-WORLD RELEVANCE. Coverage has been updated to include recent topics in the news such as the 2008 election and the economic turmoil in the United States and abroad and how these issues affect policy practice. Additionally, coverage of post-hurricane New Orleans and homelessness in Los Angeles has been updated to reflect recent developments in those areas.
Now in its sixth edition, BECOMING AN EFFECTIVE POLICY ADVOCATE continues to embrace the policy-practice framework that made it a success while including coverage of important recent developments in the field. This groundbreaking text goes beyond the traditional foundational approach to policy and helps students develop the skills they need to become advocates for social change. Students are taught the ins-and-outs of conducting policy-practice so that they will be prepared to implement policy reform during their own careers.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.