Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop
- List Price:
- Buy New: $5.99
as of 9/20/2014 12:40 EDT details
- You Save: $10.96 (65%)
- Sales Rank:72,430
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.9
- Dimensions (in):0.8 x 5.4 x 8.1
- Publication Date:February 24, 2009
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Brand Name: Bradley, Adam Mfg#: 9780465003471
- Shipping Weight: 0.50 lbs
- All music products are properly licensed and guaranteed authentic.
If asked to list the greatest innovators of modern American poetry, few of us would think to include Jay-Z or Eminem in their number. And yet hip hop is the source of some of the most exciting developments in verse today. The media uproar in response to its controversial lyrical content has obscured hip hop’s revolution of poetic craft and experience: Only in rap music can the beat of a song render poetic meter audible, allowing an MC’s wordplay to move a club-full of eager listeners.
Examining rap history’s most memorable lyricists and their inimitable techniques, literary scholar Adam Bradley argues that we must understand rap as poetry or miss the vanguard of poetry today. Book of Rhymes explores America’s least understood poets, unpacking their surprisingly complex craft, and according rap poetry the respect it deserves.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.