The Future of the Philosophy of Time (Routledge Studies in Metaphysics, Vol. 4)
- List Price:
- Buy New: $91.59
as of 9/15/2014 01:49 EDT details
- You Save: $48.41 (35%)
- Sales Rank:4,393,952
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.9
- Dimensions (in):9.1 x 6.1 x 0.7
- Publication Date:October 17, 2011
Shipping:Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
Availability:Usually ships in 24 hours
The last century has seen enormous progress in our understanding of time. This volume features original essays by the foremost philosophers of time discussing the goals and methodology of the philosophy of time, and examining the best way to move forward with regard to the field's core issues.
The collection is unique in combining cutting edge work on time with a focus on the big picture of time studies as a discipline. The major questions asked include:
- What are the implications of relativity and quantum physics on our understanding of time?
- Is the passage of time real, or just a subjective phenomenon?
- Are the past and future real, or is the present all that exists?
- If the future is real and unchanging (as contemporary physics seems to suggest), how is free will possible?
- Since only the present moment is perceived, how does the experience as we know it come about? How does experience take on its character of a continuous flow of moments or events?
- What explains the apparent one-way direction of time?
- Is time travel a logical/metaphysical possibility?
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.