Against Common Sense: Teaching and Learning Toward Social Justice (Reconstructing the Public Sphere in Curriculum Studies)
- List Price:
- Buy New: $25.99
as of 12/13/2013 10:29 EST details
- You Save: $8.96 (26%)
- Seller:Aaron Rehberg
- Sales Rank:463,108
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.6
- Dimensions (in):0.4 x 5.9 x 8.8
- Publication Date:June 25, 2009
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
The phrase "teaching for social justice" is often used, but not always explained. What does it really mean to teach for social justice? What are the implications for anti-oppressive teaching across different areas of the curriculum? Drawing on his own experiences teaching diverse grades and subjects, Kevin Kumashiro examines various aspects of anti-oppressive teaching and learning in six different subject areas. Connecting practice to theory through new pedagogical elements, the revised edition of this bestselling text features:
- A new and timely preface that considers the possibilities of anti-oppressive teaching and teaching for social justice in the face of increasing pressure from both the Right and the Left to accept neoliberal school reform policies.
- End of chapter questions that enhance comprehension of arguments, help concretize abstract ideas into classroom practice, and encourage critique.
- A sampling of print and online resources that will inspire students to further their social justice education
The new pedagogical components of the revised edition will offer K-12 teachers and teacher educators the tools they need to teach against their common sense assumptions and continue the evolution of social justice in education.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.