Reading Sexualities: Hermeneutic Theory and the Future of Queer Studies
- List Price:
- Buy New: $14.99
as of 8/30/2014 07:02 EDT details
- You Save: $21.96 (59%)
- Sales Rank:2,830,639
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.4
- Dimensions (in):8.3 x 5.5 x 0.4
- Publication Date:April 22, 2009
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Reading Sexualities confronts the reigning practices, priorities, and preoccupations of queer theory and sexuality studies. Looking at a range of texts, from novels to travel narratives to internet porn, Donald E. Hall deftly weaves the theoretical with the literary in order to:
- examine the vexed ethical, critical, and political questions arising from sexual consumerism and cross-cultural encounters
- read the changing landscape of sexual identity, finding great cause for optimism and enthusiastic engagement
- urge readers to embrace a far-reaching dialogic practice as a mechanism for furthering radical social change.
Reading Sexualities shows how our sexual desires and bases for identification are being widely challenged and changed. Drawing on hermeneutic theory and the work of Hans-Georg Gadamer, Hall argues that by approaching sexual diversity with openness and humility, we become active participants in the politically urgent process of reading the self through the perspective of the other.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.