Back in Print!
Originally published as a two-volume set forty years ago, The Juniper Tree is distinguished first by the selection of stories. Lore Segal and Maurice Sendak jointly culled 27 from the 210 in the complete collection, and their contents page presents a fascinating critical statement. The translations are another distinguishing quality of the Segal/Sendak edition. Both translators have been painstakingly faithful to the German texts; they have not cut, “retold,” or bowdlerized. In addition, Segal and Jarrell bring to their renderings of Grimm the grace and precision that are characteristic of their own original prose.
· One of the most acclaimed Grimm collections published in English, available again
· An elegant, must-have edition for every home library
· New lower-price of $19.99, formerly $28.00
· Includes standards such as “Hansel and Gretel,” “The Fisherman and His Wife,” and “The Frog King” as well as lesser-known masterpieces such as the title story and “The Goblins”
· Each story contains a full-page picture by Maurice Sendak
· Four stories translated by Jarrell, the rest by Segal