The Elements of Journalism: What Newspeople Should Know and the Public Should Expect, Completely Updated and Revised
- List Price:
- Buy New: $9.76
as of 1/29/2015 10:59 EST details
- You Save: $5.24 (35%)
- Sales Rank:27,063
- Languages:English (Unknown), English (Original Language), English (Published)
- Number Of Items:1
- Edition:Rev Upd
- Shipping Weight (lbs):0.5
- Dimensions (in):5.1 x 0.6 x 8
- Publication Date:April 24, 2007
Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- The elements of Journalism
- Bill Kovach
- Tom Rosenstiel
The Book That Every Citizen and Journalist Should Read
“What this book does better than any single book on media history, ethics, or practice is
weave . . . [together] why media audiences have fled and why new technology and megacorporate ownership are putting good journalism at risk.” —Rasmi Simhan, Boston Globe
“Kovach and Rosenstiel’s essays on each [element] are concise gems, filled with insights worthy of becoming axiomatic. . . . The book should become essential reading for journalism professionals and students and for the citizens they aim to serve.” —Carl Sessions Stepp, American Journalism Review
“If you think journalists have no idea what you want . . . here is a book that agrees with you. Better—it has solutions. The Elements of Journalism is written for journalists, but any citizen who wonders why the news seems trivial or uninspiring should read it.” —Marta Salij, Detroit Free Press
The elements of journalism are:
* Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth.
* Its first loyalty is to citizens.
* Its essence is a discipline of verification.
* Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover.
* It must serve as an independent monitor of power.
* It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise.
* It must strive to make the significant interesting and relevant.
* It must keep the news comprehensive and proportional.
* Its practitioners must be allowed to exercise their personal conscience.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.