While social work policy can be considered the what, and practice, the how, the study of human behavior is concerned with why. Why do people do the things they do? Why do individuals behave differently in groups than when alone? Why do some people become the victims of their lives while others who have endured tragedy become life's heroes?
Resilience across the life span is a new major theme of the second edition of the bestselling Human Behavior and the Social Environment, Micro Level. In an elegant and accessible manner, Katherine van Wormer explores the nuances of the biological, psychological, cultural, and spiritual dimensions of our social lives from an ecosystems and empowerment-based perspective. Drawing on examples from social work, psychology, literature, philosophy, and current events, vignettes highlight the turning points in our lives and invite students to explore the contradictions between how we mean to be and how others view us. The result is an essential book that bridges theory and practice, providing extraordinary insight into our drives and motivations, and revealing the myriad patterns and paradoxes of our behavior in the social context.
* Integrates new research findings and recent census and global health data
* Revised with augmented discussions of multiculturalism, Latino/Latina identity issues, and late adulthood to reflect demographic changes in the United States
* Outlines theoretical concepts and practice implications in each chapter
* Places unique emphasis on biology's influence on human behavior, employing the latest empirical data in discussions of matters such as gender differences, genetics, and mental disorders
* Focuses on evidence-based theory and research
* Teaches from a global, cross-cultural, perspective, highlighting themes of empowerment and social justice
* Features dynamic readings, personal narratives, and photographs that highlight each chapter's topic
* Accompanied by an online instructor's manual with lecture presentations, chapter summaries, key terms, suggested classroom activities, and a test bank with essay and multiple choice questions at www.oup.com/us/HBSE/
Don't miss the companion volume, Human Behavior and the Social Environment, Macro Level, Second Edition written with Fred H. Besthorn, which develops a sophisticated and original view of the cultural, global, spiritual, and natural worlds that people inhabit, and the impact of these worlds on human behavior.